Calendar of Events
Things to do in Jamaica
Each month, each season, brings with it a new variety of things to do
in Jamaica. I hope this calendar of events will be helpful to
you. If you're planning your trip around a particular event, I would
suggest that you double check dates with the event
organisers before making a booking, in case there are late-in-the-day
In each month I've listed the happenings in St. Elizabeth and the south coast first. Although not in the main tourist belt, this side of the island shouldn't be missed.
I'll keep adding to the list as soon as I learn of interesting, new things to do in Jamaica.
Things to do in Jamaica - the Summer Months
- Caribbean Fashion Week. National Indoor Sports Centre, Kingston.
- Black River Day - Fun in the streets of Black River, St. Elizabeth. Float Parade, Stilt Walkers, Jonkunnu, Mento Band, Steel Band, Stage Show, Food Booths, Kids Village. July 31, 2014.
- Little Ochi Seafood Festival - Great seafood, great music in Alligator Pond, Manchester (almost in St. Elizabeth, but not quite!)
- National Festival of the Performing Arts Finals - Little Theatre, Kingston.
- Portland Jerk Festival - at Folly in Portland.
- Reggae Sumfest - Jamaica's biggest Reggae Festival! Montego Bay.
- National Dance Theatre Company - Season of Dance, Little Theatre, Kingston.
With Emancipation Day on August 1, and Independence Day on August 6, it's a month of special things to do in Jamaica. 2013 will mark the 51st anniversary of Jamaica's Independence. The culture of the island is on display in August more than in any other month, and the whole country is in a party mood!
- Flag Raising Ceremony and Independence Celebration, August 6, Independence Park, Black River.
- Denbigh Agricultural Show - the most celebrated agricultural show in Jamaica. Denbigh Show Grounds in Clarendon. Aug 1-3, 2014
- Food Festival - Catherine Hall Entertainment Centre, Montego Bay. August 1, 2014
- Mello Go Roun - Jamaica's performing arts on display. Ranny Williams Entertainment Centre, Kingston. 8 pm August 1, 2014
- Heart of Ska Festival - Ranny Williams Entertainment Centre, Kingston. 12 noon August 2, 2014
- Dutchie Food Festival - Ranny Williams Entertainment Centre, Kingston. 12 noon August 3, 2014
- World Reggae Dance Finals - Ranny Williams Entertainment Centre, Kingston. 8 pm August 4, 2014
- Grand Gala 2014 - National Stadium, Kingston. 6 pm August 6, 2014
- ATI Weekend - The original series of sizzling parties at various venues in Negril. Aug 3-6, 2014 www.atiweekend.com
- Smirnoff Dream Weekend - More great parties in Negril. August 1-6, 2014 www.negrildreamweekend.com
Things to do in Jamaica - Summer's Over
- Miss Lou Birthday Celebrations - Cultural activities at venues across the island in honour of Jamaica's beloved Louise Bennett Coverly, a cultural pioneer.
- Falmouth Marlin Tournament - Falmouth, Trelawny.
- Port Antonio Marlin Tournament - Port Antonio, Portland. li>
- Hook 'n Line Tournament - Treasure Beach, St. Elizabeth.
- Burger King 10k Run - Montego Bay. Call 876-922-8677.
- Heroes Day - Civic ceremonies in all parishes honouring Jamaica's National Heroes.
- JCDC Visual Arts Showcase - Bloomfield Great House, Mandeville.
- Holland Bamboo 5k Run Holland Bamboo, St. Elizabeth. Call 876-922-8677.
- Restaurant Week - Various restaurants in Kingston and Montego Bay offer reduced prices, showcasing the range of cuisine available in Jamaica.
- St. Elizabeth Homecoming Week.
Things to do in Jamaica - the Cool Months
If you're in Jamaica at Christmas time, make sure to check out Grand Market celebrations held in most major towns
on the night before Christmas.
- GT Magnum Christmas Extravaganza - Reggae/Dancehall stage show held annually at Independence Park in Black River,
St. Elizabeth. December 25, 2014.
- Black River New Year's Eve Jam - Waterloo Guesthouse, Black River, St. Elizabeth. Starts December 31, 2014.
- Fireworks and New Year's Eve Party at Jack Sprat in Treasure Beach, St. Elizabeth. Starts December 31, 2014.
- Reggae Marathon - Marathon, half marathon and shorter races held in Negril each year. www.reggaemarathon.com.
- East Fest - Reggae artistes come together in a celebration of Rastafarian Culture. Goodyear Oval, St. Thomas.
- Sting - Eagerly anticipated by dancehall fans each year, Sting is the biggest one night dancehall show. December 26,
- Harbour Fest and Fireworks on the Waterfront - December 31, 2014. Kingston Waterfront.
- Accompong Maroon Festival/Cudjoe's Celebration - January 6 each year at Accompong in St. Elizabeth.
- Rebel Salute - Highly acclaimed Roots Reggae Show. No meat, no alcohol, lots of smoke! Richmond Estate, St. Ann
- High Mountain Coffee 10k and 5k Road Race - held in the hills of
Manchester. A challenging, but extrememly popular race, starting at the
overhead bridge in Williamsfield.
- Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival - a huge week long festival of R&B, Jazz, Blues, Reggae, Latin and other music types. Main show nights at the Greenfield Stadium in Trelawny. Visit Jamaica Jazz and Blues.
- Bob Marley birthday celebrations - Stage shows, exhibitions and other events at various locations around the island.
- Startime - Vintage Reggae Stageshow - Kingston.
Things to do in Jamaica - It's Spring!
- Hague Agricultural Show - held at Hague in Trelawny. March 5, 2014.
- Boys and Girls Championships (Champs) - National Stadium, Kingston. If you want to see why Jamaica produces great track and field athletes, this is the place to be. March 25-29, 2014
- Spring Break activities - Negril has become Jamaica's Spring Break capital.
- The Jamaica Orchid Society Show - Jamaica Horticultural Society Exhibition Hall, adjoining Hope Botanical Gardens.
- St. Elizabeth Horticultural Society Annual Flower Show - held on Easter Monday at Independence Park in Black River. One of the most popular flower shows, with beautiful displays, plants on sale, live steel band and marching band music, fun stuff for kids. April 21, 2014 876-965-2288
- ECHOES - Hampton School Music Department's Concert Season. A not-to-be-missed performance by exceptional teenagers of St. Elizabeth. Hampton School April 5-7, 2014
- Jake's Off Road Triathlon - Treasure Beach, St. Elizabeth. April 12, 2014
- Western Consciousness - Reggae Stage Show in Montego Bay. End of April.
- Curry Festival - Good food and entertainment, Savanna-la-mar, Westmoreland. End of April.
- National Dance Theatre Company Sunrise Concert - Little Theatre in Kingston. Easter Sunday April 20, 2014.
- Jamaica International Kite Festival - Seville Heritage Park St. Ann. Easter Monday April 21, 2014.
- Trelawny Yam Festival - held in Albert Town, Trelawny. Easter Monday April 21, 2014.
- Manchester Horticultural Society Flower Show - another good flower show. Held in Mandeville on Labour Day, May 23rd.
- National Labour Day Concert - held on Labour Day, May 23rd each year.
There's definitely no shortage of things to do in Jamaica!
Return to Things to Do in Jamaica hub page
Return from Calendar of Things To Do in Jamaica to Home Page