How Much Do You Know
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but if what you know about Jamaica goes something like "rum, beaches, Bob Marley...Montego Bay",
then chances are that's all you'll expect from your vacation.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a great suntan and a
mellow bottle of our finest rum aren't fantastic souvenirs to take home.
I'm just saying there's a whole lot more to our Jamrock than that...
Like lazy rivers, icy cold waterfalls, breathtaking mountaintop views.
Sugar cane, jelly coconuts and pepper shrimp for sale on the roadside.
Historic churches competing with reggae-pounding speaker boxes
for space in the town square.
Neatly uniformed school children,
fishermen pulling in their nets. The everyday rhythm of a vibrant, expressive nation.
You'll miss it if you stay behind your hotel walls.
By telling you about Jamaican culture, people, history,
great things to do and great places to visit,
I hope to whet your appetite for more than our beaches. Although you can be sure I'll tell you about them too.
I was born and raised here, a country girl ("girl" used loosely!).
Of our 14 parishes, I'm lucky to make my home in St. Elizabeth, a spectacular parish known for its friendliness and its contrasts.
Here you can experience the beauty of an idyllic
vacation, while not missing out on the authentic touches that
make this island different from anywhere else on earth. I'll tell you about our country in general, focusing on the south coast, St. Elizabeth in particular.
- Real-Jamaica-Vacations Sitemap
- This sitemap will take you easily to any page of Real-Jamaica-Vacations.com
- Real Runnings, Real Jamaica Vacations Blog
- Real Runnings is the Real Jamaica Vacations Blog. It lets you know the latest additions and changes to the site, so you don't miss a thing. Subscribe here.
- Jamaican Photos - Fresh Jamaican pictures
- Jamaican photos - Beautiful, intriguing, interesting, thought-provoking pictures of Jamaica. Get an update each week or two.
- About Jamaica
- Share your favourite story about Jamaica, or get your questions answered.
- St Elizabeth, the corner of Jamaica you can't afford to miss
- Explore St Elizabeth, home of the Black River, YS Falls, Treasure Beach, Accompong Maroon Town.
- Black River, a small Jamaican town with a big past.
- Discover the historic town of Black River, and the beautiful river that named it.
- Way Back When - Black River Heritage Tour
- Way Back When is a walking tour of the historic town of Black River, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica. The tour tells the unique story of this small town which has the distinction of being the first place in
- Accompong - Maroon Village alive with History
- Visit Accompong. Immerse yourself in the heritage of the Jamaican Maroons and in the beauty of the Cockpit Country.
- Treasure Beach - A different Jamaica
- A unique Jamaica exists in Treasure Beach. Different pace, style, look and talk. Combine that with a scenic, decidedly undercrowded coastline, and what do you get? An absolutely unforgettable place.
- Places to Visit in Jamaica - Lover's Leap, Bamboo Avenue, Fonthill Beach
- St. Elizabeth has some of the best places to visit in Jamaica. Explore Lover's Leap, Bamboo Avenue, Fonthill Beach.
- Jamaican Beaches - each one has its own character.
- Explore Jamaican beaches. White sand, black sand, calm, windswept, secluded, popular - no two are exactly alike.
- Things to Do in Jamaica - Yes, there's the beach. But some of the things you can
- Get ideas for great things to do in Jamaica. Special events, sports, music, nature, food festivals and cultural activities.
- Jamaican Culture
- Dive headlong into Jamaican Culture. Learn about our music, religion, traditions, language, food - the elements
- Jamaican Language - A unique means of expression
- Jamaican Language - Officially it's English, but the words we speak are much more exciting.
- Jamaican Music - A Journey of Discovery
- Take a tour through Jamaican Music. From the traditional music of Kumina to dancehall music in the 21st century.
- Jamaican Customs and Beliefs
- Intriguing, diverse and sometimes bizarre, Jamaican customs are deeply entrenched in the lives of the people.
- Jamaica People - The races behind the faces
- Jamaica people - very few Jamaicans can trace their roots to a single ethnic group. What races helped to shape Jamaica's people and culture?
- Jamaican Lifestyle - Hear it!
- Sound clips capturing Jamaican lifestyle. From Rastaman reasonings, to birdsongs, to market day, to croaking
- History of Jamaica
- The History of Jamaica outlined from the Tainos to the present.
- Facts about Jamaica - find out things you never knew. Remind yourself of things
- Interesting facts about Jamaica, Jamaican life and people, as well as the basics of our
- Jamaica Pictures - Explore St. Elizabeth and beyond
- Jamaica Pictures -see our countryside, animals, flowers, trees and seaside.
- Jamaican Money - Rates, Pictures, History
- Jamaican money - latest Jamaican currency rates, pictures, slang names and history.
- Places to Stay in Jamaica - St. Elizabeth
- Places to stay in Jamaica - St. Elizabeth villas, guesthouses, hotels, bed and breakfast options
- Hotels in Jamaica - Find the right one for you
- Hotels in Jamaica - Compare and explore, find the hotel in Jamaica that perfectly suits your needs. Jamaican accomodation for every situation.
- Real Jamaica Shopping - JAttitude Designs
- A Real Jamaica shopping experience featuring Tshirts and other souvenirs designed
- Best Travel Websites - Travel sites dedicated to unique corners of the world
- Many of the best travel websites are small sites dedicated to a specific country or area.
Pages We Love
Black River, the town
Black River History
Black River in pictures
Fonthill, Bamboo Ave